CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Edible Weed Series #3 Dandelions







Here is a link to a wonderful video about Dandelions (plus, this guy just makes me smile, his name is Doug Elliott)....Sorry, guys, it wouldn't let me embed it on here. But here is the link.....//http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid1911416491/bctid1772111697






All parts of the dandelion are edible and have medicinal and culinary uses. It has long been used as a liver tonic and diuretic. Dandelion roots can be harvested during any frost-free period of the year and eaten raw, steamed, or even dried, roasted and ground into a coffee substitute. The flowers are best known for their use in dandelion wine, but they also can be added to a salad, made into jellies or dipped in batter to make dandelion fritters.










The are very nutritious having antioxidant properties and being high in vitamins A, C, Iron and calcium. It is used to treat water retention, indigestion and heartburn. It is said to alleviate postpartum symptoms and other pregnancy issues. In addition, the roots contain a starch like substances that may help balance blood sugar, as well as bitter taraxacin, which stimulates digestion.It is also able to treat the liver, gall bladder, kidney and joint problems. Well known as a blood purifier, it is also reputed to help with eczema, stimulate digestion and work as a mild laxative.




I like this video, but man I want my dandelions to get that big....be on the look out, I have already been finding some of these guys in my yard and I ordered the seeds for them. Oh, one more thing about the video, he shows us how to make a drink, so want to try it!!!! In fact, I can't wait to try it all!!!!

1 comments:

Wilderness Mama said...

Wow, I never knew all that about dandelions! If only I'd had some in previous years. They grow in my yard every year. I've always loved them, but I've never eaten any!