CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Edible Weed Series, well, not Weed, but Tree Seed....Sugar Maple Tree Seeds




Sugar Maple Trees




Edible Uses: The seeds when hulled and boiled are edible. In the spring, these trees are tapped for their sap, which is boiled into syrup and sugar. For the seeds you can try so many different flavors using, salt, pepper, crushed pepper, even soaking them in soy sauce, steak seasoning, and frying them in bacon grease (yeah BACON!!!!) for different flavors.




Medicinal Uses: Pure sap may be drank as a spring tonic. Spring sap syrup is also taken as a liver tonic, a kidney cleanser and a cough syrup. Teas of the inner bark are drank for a cough or diarrhea and were thought to be useful as a diuretic, an expectorant and a "blood purifier.

2 comments:

Wilderness Mama said...

We have tons of these in our front yard right now. Maybe I'll give them a try!

nikki101076 said...

This one actually sounds yummy! I am still not ready to try the weeds yet as I still don't even like to eat a spring mix of lettuce.I think it tastes too much like grass and looks too much like grass so I don't eat it.Yeah I know I'm funny that way but I have not converted to the other side yet.It's a process!