CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, March 2, 2009

Edible Weed Series #1 Purslane Herb



One of my favorite Edible Weed is called Purslane. Purslane has a mild sweet/sour flavor and it is chewy, but crisp. Most always the stem has a reddish tent and it creeps along the ground. It blooms in the summer with a small yellow flower. The seeds are no larger than a grain of sand and they are black.

Purslane is known as an excellent source of vitamins A, C and E and the essential amino acids. Reports describe Purslane as a “power food of the future” because of its high nutritive and antioxidant properties. Purslane leaves contain Omega-3 fatty acid which regulate the body’s metabolic activities. Purslane herb is known to have one of the highest known concentrations of Omega-3 fatty acid in any plant.

Purslane can be eaten straight off the ground raw or cooked on the stove. We have cooked it with Squash and we love it. It goes great in stir fry, soups and salad.

This is one of my favorite and I hope that you will try it...I have ordered seeds for this years garden (because it has a small root system, it makes great mulch in your garden). This stuff multiply like crazy, but that is a good thing and if it comes up somewhere that you don't want it, pull it up. I read somewhere that these seeds can last 10 years outside, wow...that really does sound like the food of the future. This stuff comes up everywhere. I don't have any in my yard, but I do remember seeing it the State Fair park last year and it grows down at my moms house. Now, they do say that the wilder it is, the better it is. I can't wait to plant my seeds!

0 comments: